Dental examinations in Corio, Norlane and Lara
New patients at Healthview Dental in Corio will receive a comprehensive dental examination performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Regular dental examinations are an important part of tooth care, allowing our dentist to identify areas of concern and if any treatment may be required, such as fillings, crowns, dentures, dental implants, dental veneers and more.
Professional dental cleaning
Your professional cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
Removal of calculus (tartar)
Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
Removal of plaque
Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
Our dentist professionally polishes your teeth to remove stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.